March 9, 2006

Here is part of a conversation I had with E.S. in bed last night:

E.S.: Ow! You bumped my nose.
FAUSTUS: I’m sorry.
E.S.: You should be more careful. You could have knocked it off.
FAUSTUS: It’s lucky that I didn’t. I wouldn’t love you if you didn’t have a nose.
E.S.: Would you love me if I had cancer?
FAUSTUS: Well, then you’d just die, and I wouldn’t have to love you.
E.S.: No, cancer of the nose, and I had to have a nasectomy.
FAUSTUS: Oh. No, I wouldn’t love you if you had a nasectomy. Unless you got a really natural-looking prosthesis.
E.S.: What about the really creepy times when it, like, fell off on the subway?
FAUSTUS: Definitely I wouldn’t love you then.
FAUSTUS: But I’d love you again after you put it back on.
E.S.: I’m not sure I believe you.
FAUSTUS: You’ll never know until you remove your nose, will you?

9 Responses to Here is part of a conversation I had with E

1. David says:

Delightful. The following is a typical conversation I have with Rob.

Me: Honey, can you pass the potato chips?

Rob: OK.

Me: Is Project Runway on?

Rob: Yep.

2. eric says:

This is side of Fautus I ADORE & LOVE THE MOST… welcome back!

3. anapestic says:

I’m 99.44% certain that this conversation went exactly the way you’ve transcribed it, except that where you have “nose,” the actual conversation had a somewhat more important part of E.S.’ anatomy.

4. David says:

Excuse me sir, but you could you kindly remove your nose?

5. Mush says:

Only 99.44%? Because, you know, it could be even higher.

On the other hand, they’re weird birds, so it really could have been nose the whole time.

6. Christopher says:

I wonder if Michael Jackson and Bubbles ever had this same conversation? I mean, when was the last time anyone saw Bubbles? It must have been heartbreaking for the poor primate. And for Bubbles.

(Sorry. That was rubbish of me.)

7. aimee says:

This is completely irrelevant but I had a dream about meeting you last night. I think you got annoyed that I kept trying to get you to sing. It was very strange while at the same time pretty cool.

8. sam says:

In bed in Brooklyn, or in Manhattan?

9. i. bendito says:

Wouldn’t the nose being savaged by a machete-wielding crackwhore have provided a more refined example?

It’s New York after all.