April 21, 2005

So I’m being interviewed for a Boston paper in conjunction with the upcoming release of Gay Haiku, and one of the questions is “What’s the best thing about being gay in 2005?”.

I’m stumped.

All I can think of is America’s Next Top Model, especially given Tyra’s unprecedented explosion at Tiffany last week, but it seems to me that there’s got to be a better answer than that.

Any ideas?

31 Responses to So I’m being interviewed for

1. Patrick says:

tough one actually – some thoughts:
    - it’s normal – finally (in urban settings anyway)
    - gay sex is fun
    - tv is so gay
    - gym classes just got even gayer
    - that you can publish a book on gay haiku

2. logan says:

someone who can flex his mental skills as aptly as you seem to do should find a question as vague and generalized as this one difficult.

it’s doubtful, in any case, that you’d disappoint.

3. logan says:

should NOT, rather.

someone as knowingly absent-minded as me ought to know better than to respond without thinking to proofread beforehand. hrmf.

4. the fauxhawk. enuff said.

5. campbell says:

Same as it was in 1905 – you get to sleep with naked men and do stuff to/with them!

6. eric says:

i think you touched on with your ANTM reference — so many gay characters on so many TV programs — being gay has never been so cool*!

* cool meaning “trendy” but not meaning entitled to equal rights as straights, and still facing daunting homophobia in many forms

7. Jake says:

That 2005 was the start of us Gay men and women finally being equal with our ‘straight’ counterparts. Wait, it was just a dream after all.

How about Canadian Maple Leaf T-Shirts!

8. Jess says:

Try this:

“‘What’s the best thing about being gay in 2005?’ Well, as of January 2005, the gifts for converting young straight boys to homosexuality went up. Used to be, I could hang out in nice suburban neighborhoods, working it all the best I could, ‘flipping’ some mother’s innocent child to our perverted way of life on a weekly basis, and the best I’d get at the end of the month was a toaster.

“Now, I can look forward to cash incentives, bonus point travel programs and, if I’m really successful, the coveted pink Cadillac, the back of which will be emblazoned with ‘My lover is an honor student at your local high school.’ So 2005 is just a great time to be alive and gay!”

What do you think, Faustus? You might make the front page! ;)

9. Jeffrey says:

The best thing about being gay in 2005? E.S., of course.

Or the music you get to play in step and sculpt.

10. Brian says:

The best thing about being gay in 2005 is that for the first time we finally have both a gay President and Pope.

11. charles says:

I like being able to drink PBR without the trailer park stigma… if by gay you mean trendy.

12. Mike says:

Domestic partnerships in Connecticut? I know that’s pretty lame, compared to America’s Next Top Model, but it makes you sound politically aware.

13. David says:

Ah, someone else who appreciated Tyrade 2005 in the same capacity as I did. Yeah, how do you top that?

14. David says:

Campbell: Did you like 1905 better than you do 2005? How were you wearing your hair back then? Heh heh heh.

15. Simon says:

And here I thought you were America’s Next Top Model. But then maybe they’d have to rename it to America’s Next, um, Bottom Model. Now wouldn’t that be a show. :P

16. birdfarm says:

the way things are going now, the best thing about being gay in 2005 is that it’s not as tough as being gay in 2006, which is at least better than 2007, though of course 2007 still beats 2008…

sorry, am i ruining the lighthearted tone of your queston?

17. Chas says:

Just ordered your book.
    Hope your picture is a good one.

18. David says:

Perhaps you could use this forum to decry Microsoft’s recent decision to stop backing gay rights legislation.

19. That’s easy:

“Apparently, in 2005 any gay writer can get published.”

Did I mention my second novel is being released in trade paper on May 1, 2005? Just wanted to have that it on the record that I know what I’m talking about…

20. reba says:

oh, that’s easy! the best thing about being gay in 2005 is Hertz rental car privileges for my domestic partner. Seriously, they count her as a spouse, no paying extra to be listed as a driver. How sad is it that it’s the only thing I can think of at the moment?

21. Convivia says:

Dude, gay marriage in Massachusetts! It’s the best!

Seriously, I think you should state that the best thing about being gay in 2005 is that you can’t go to jail for it in most states. Yet.

Then talk about how the Marquess of Queensbury accused Oscar Wilde of being a “posing somdomite” (or, as I think, “posing as a somdomite”) because it’s funny.

22. todd says:

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES after ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. Tarty meets smarty.

PS–And Alan Hollinghurst won the Booker Prize in 2005 (okay, for 2004 but still…)

23. Aaron says:

The best things about being gay in 2005 are 1) crystal meth, 2) barebacking videos and 3) the way we treat each other.

24. zenchick says:

I think there should be a limit to how many times David can comment on any given post.

25. Joe R, Age 72 says:

It’s so damn easy being gay these days. Gay guys routinely get out of school, come out to their families, find a boy friend, and settle down. Sure there are problems along the way, but even straight folks have some of those.

Joe R, Age 72

26. birdfarm says:

Joe R, you are definitely right and my hat’s off to you for surviving the darker ages. My point was just that the “easyness” of being gay in 2005 makes some people forget that people of your generation fought very hard so that the lives of later generations (i.e., us) would be easier. If we take that for granted, we risk losing what has been achieved. “Progress” isn’t inevitable, it’s hard-won.

This is what you get for letting dykes into your comments….political tirades. Well, it’s your own fault for leaving this post at the top for days and days.

27. miss wanton says:

that’s easy…it’s so great because you get free, willing servants in the form of hags…

28. Greg says:

Best thing about being gay in 2005: Craig’s List M4M section!

29. Bob says:

I’m of legal age. That should count for something.

30. Andy Butler says:

Why can’t ANTM be the best thing about being Gay in 2005? It’s defintiely my favorite thing about being gay everywhere I’ve been in this country this year I can talk about that show in a gay bar. I’m telling you, it’s unifying.