November 9, 2003

I came very close to having to spend the night tonight in the emergency room, after a narrow brush with an umbilical hernia that became more and more excruciatingly painful as the evening went on. Luckily, I was at dinner with a friend in medical school, so we went back to his apartment, where I lay down and he told me how to perform a manual reduction, after which all was well again.

I wanted him to perform it himself, but he demurred.

11 Responses to I came very close to

1. sam says:

How did you get said hernia?

2. Anonymous #7 says:

Manual reduction??

3. Stairs says:

Sorry to hear about this – I’m glad that it was resolved before it progressed any further :(

Is the condition something you experience with regularity? The operations performed to close the umbilical ring are relatively straightforward, the incomplete development of the muscle being quite a common occurrence across the board – I guess I’d avoid surgery unless I really thought I needed it.

I hope you feel better today.

4. tim says:

manual reduction??? Is that what they are calling it now?

5. Wayne says:

Awe, poor baby…. feeling better?

6. Jeff says:

I will refrain from asking what a manual reduction is, but I do hope you’re feeling OK.

7. Patrick says:

I’m actually curious as to how this manual reduction is performed. Hope you feel better now.

8. Manual reduction? I want one of those. lol.

9. Sorry to disappoint. Manual reduction involves nothing more than just shoving the damn thing back in where it came from.

10. CF says:

I once met a man who no longer HAD a bellybutton.

11. Jalal says:

Doh! Dude! How did you get that … umbolicale hernia thingie ? AAA Doh!