September 22, 2003

Yesterday the cheerleaders cheered for the end of the Boston-New York AIDS Ride at the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center.

We started our routine and it was going spectacularly. The hitch mount went up, the vault-over went up. We were preparing to do the split mount, in which I and another girl stand in four burly guys’ hands while a very small girl does a split on our shoulders before flipping over into more burly guys’ hands.

So I and the other girl jumped up into the guys’ hands, the very small girl jumped onto our shoulders . . .

. . . and then I looked into the crowd and saw somebody wearing a white suit.

After Labor Day.

I was so shocked and appalled that I almost dropped the very small girl. Luckily, I was able to master my dismay quickly enough to prevent her death.

But if I ever see him again, I may not be able to master my dismay quickly enough to prevent his.

11 Responses to Yesterday the cheerleaders cheered for

1. Lauren says:

I am so sorry. However: You have thus far been spared the experience of hearing a friend tell you he’s spent almost $200 on a short-sleeved white silk shirt to be worn exclusively after Labor Day.

2. D.R. says:

Juror: Fashion has changed!

Serial Mom: No it hasn’t!

[Serial Mom kills juror.]

3. tim says:

oh, stop it… move on… white after labor day is fine.

4. Wayne says:

YOu never know..maybe his favorite color is white…..

5. Jeff says:

A white suit? You mean Tom Wolfe was there?

6. T.H. says:

You should have just dropped her. Imagine how good the spray of blood would have looked on the white suit. Stunning.

7. Mr.D. says:

Would anyone mind explaining to a Brit what the problem is here?

I always wear a white shirt to work – and there’s a “u” in labour. There is. Really.

8. Mr. D., no white suits/shoes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day is the American version of the rule on your side of the pond, which I believe is (I was just discussing this with a friend) no white suits/shoes before the Epsom Derby or after the start of shooting season.

A white shirt is always acceptable.

A “u” in “labor,” however, is acceptable only if one lives in a country where “centre” is also correct. Which you do, and which I do not.

9. Mr.D. says:

Illuminating, Faustus.

Muchobliged.

10. matthew says:

Jews are allowed too. (I know, Im one them). White for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur are totally fine.

But then back to autumn colors.

xo,
    matthew

11. jennifer says:

october 2nd and very chilly…..saw a woman today in white capris and sandals. It was sooooo hard not to stop her and say……ummmm, no Ma’am, no.